Yes, here in Summit County, it is a Seller’s market. However, there are some simple things you can do to increase the interest, and possibly the offers, on your home. This is a comprehensive list and not all items necessarily apply to condos. The whole idea behind these items is that we don’t want your home to look “tired”.
10 Tips to Improve Your House’s Curb Appeal
- Give your entry a facelift with either a new coat of paint or a new front door.
- Don’t forget to landscape your yard! A well groomed lawn shows buyers that the home was taken care of. Obviously, if your home is a condo, this tip doesn’t apply to you.
- Wash all windows (inside & out) – you don’t want to take away from a great view with dirty windows! Call me if you need recommendations for a good window washer.
- Clean out your garage – or storage area! Consider getting a storage unit to store any non-essential items.
- Add a pop of color by planting flowers.
- Remove any lawn ornaments that you will want to bring with you to your new home.
- Replace a worn out welcome mat to welcome buyers as they tour the home.
- Paint or replace the street numbers on the house to make them more visible.
- Power was any outdoor surfaces to give them a “like new” feel (for example siding, sidewalks, driveway). Again, doesn’t apply if you are in a condo.
10 Tips to Make your House Feel Like Home To Buyers
- Clean Everything! A clean home will allow buyers to picture themselves in the space and not distract them. If you need recommendations for cleaners, please call or email me!
- Give every room a purpose. Even if you used it as a bonus room, giving it an identity will help buyers.
- Let the light in! Bright rooms feel warm & inviting, dark rooms feel small & gloomy.
- Fix anything that is broken. Buyers will notice and may offer less for your house if repairs are required. Summit County is notorious for broken seals in windows. Check all your windows. Most buyers are going to ask to have those windows replaced – so you might as well do it now and improve the appeal of your home from the very start. Fix cabinets that are coming off their hinge, doors that don’t latch, etc.
- Unclutter your house! Thinning out your closets & pantries will show how much room is actually available.
- Fresh Paint & New Carpet are the top 2 things you can do to help your home sell faster and for more money.
- Organize the kitchen! Store any non-essential, small appliances & clean all surfaces.
- Before your home is shown, empty all trash bins and hide any dirty laundry.
- Make sure all doors open & close smoothly. Fix and squeaks on bedroom or closet doors.
- Replace light bulbs with new ones and make sure all switches work.
If you would like more specific suggestions for getting your house ready for market and is a great resource for finding local contractors who can help!